Friday, October 9, 2015

October 9, 2015 - 0900

As one can probably guess I am an animal lover. Of most kinds, but the small furry ones hold a special place. I am soft like that, but in my line of work if you have to have a soft spot I think that it should be for children, the elderly, and animals. It will keep you humble and remind you that there is not just bad in the world.

The downside is that occasionally the bad will intrude on the good. Children are abused. The elderly are neglected. And animals are injured and killed. This is from a call that I was on a few weeks ago but only now found the words on the page.

Bandit

I got called to a dying animal tonight
Raccoon. Generally thought of as just a ring-tailed rat
Giant vermin stealing garbage
And creeping me out with their tiny hands

But this was a little one. A pup
Or cub or whatever a baby raccoon is called
Maybe a year old at the most
With it's tiny paws (hands?) flexing

With each labored breath
A small part of me died with it
I didn't want it to suffer
But there was nothing for me to do

In front of a school is no place to shoot an animal
But in front of a school is no place to die
I'll check on him periodically
And when he's gone we'll both rest easier

No comments:

Post a Comment