Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 21-24, 2011 - 1655

The weekend was a wacky one to be sure. I worked the following schedule: 2300-0700, 1500-2300, 2300-0700, 2300-0700. This change was due to a major event in town, involving record breaking attempts, tons of people and even more produce. I still managed to get in a nice arrest despite my sleep being all discombobulated.

The following lines are in all different kinds of styles, meters, and rhyme sequences. It was actually written at about 0400 on very little sleep and even less activity.

Changes In Shift Don't Mean A Thing To Me


Two days good
Two days slow
Two days of fun
Like only cops know

One on, one off
One fast, one slow
Four days total
Is how a shift goes

Friday and Monday went without note
Saturday and Sunday were busy
First day and last day crawled by
Second and third seemed to fly

Day two of four I worked in the sun
I thought I would burst into flames
My skin is too pale for this sort of fun
Too many people with unknown names

Walked up and down through pumpkins and kids
They tried but I think they fell short
It looked quite impressive, really it did
We'll find out in weeks if they made it or not

The flash bulbs were popping
And video whirring
We were peacekeepers to some
And pariahs to others

Day 3 was a Sunday
An allegedly quiet day
Raining most of the night
Kept it that way

Until around 1:00 am and I saw it
A car with no lights on, I followed it
Drunk driver, inside of it
And bonus veggies to go with it

A cooperative chap, despite his misdeed
He took his charges like a champ
Two hours with us then to a friends house he fleed
From a monied town; he's no tramp

My paperwork done I sit and I write
Changing styles all throughout my verses
But I'm tired and ready to go home this night
And leave my office and it's curses

No comments:

Post a Comment