Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 10, 2011 - 0456

In keeping with the structured poetry, here is an Italian style called a canzone. It has the same general rhyme structure and attention to meter as a sonnet, but there were no set rules with the writing of one. Seven to 20 lines, 10 to 11 syllables. And since the town where I work used to have a predominately Italian population, I decided to pay homage to that, and to a slow Saturday night.

The Ride-Along


Out quickly into the night, we set out
to find our prey. My Ride-Along. My wife.
The hunt was on but no cars were about
And the night dragged on for the love of my life.

After peering and hoping, there was a car
to stop and inquire of the man
If he had been drinking either near or far
But he had not, and was sent off with license in hand.

More time ticked away and my wife she grew tired.
With the lack of action, I understood,
That staying too long while I was so wired
with nothing to do in my small neighborhood

Would make for a boring night for my love
So harder and harder I tried.
Then a car appeared as if sent from above
And I hoped that this would be the one who'd imbibed.

But sober and sane was the driver inside
And my Ride-Along left, wishing me a fond good-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment