Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 14, 2011 - 0519

Today is my promotion anniversary. Two years ago, I was promoted to my current rank, which was a scant 13 months after being hired. I'm not 100% sure, but I've been told it's the fastest time from hiring to promotion in the history of the department. I don't consider myself a great leader of men, but I try and get better all the time.

This poem's style is called a ballade. It's rhyme structure is pretty easy when written down, but was tricky to follow because there are only so many words that rhyme.

Anniversary Ballade


I've been here for three
And promoted for two
It's like I've been out to sea
I am where I am because of you
For the good of the people I do what I do
Although the long nights make my mind turn grey
I'm a warrior and poet true
And I'll improve what I do, day by day.

My work I do only for me
And my home life only for you
Justice is only for those who see
That what they've done is nothing new
Or that my self and my fellows can't be bought anew
When morning time breaks and the sky becomes day
Our resolve will have held true
And I'll improve what I do, day by day.

Steadfast we hold, like leaves to a tree
Never shrinking from duty, nor cowering too
Into the battle is where we'll be
To fight for what's right, and just and true
Nothing can stop us, no actions we rue
And when it's all done, on the ground our arms lay
We've done all we can, with fairness imbue
And I'll improve what I do, day by day.

Someday when my steel is not true
And I no longer enter the fray
I can look back and say, without feeling blue
That I improved what I did, day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment