Monday, September 12, 2011

September 12, 2011 - 0345

You may think, given my profession and my love of it, that this would be a remembrance type post, for September 11, 2011. After all, I was a cop on that day 10 years ago. I wear the 9-11 bar on my uniform still, as a reminder of where I was and what I was doing. But this isn't that kind of post. I managed to make it all day without seeing too much from either extreme, liberal or conservative.

This is instead, a coverage of my last two days. My wife did a ride-along with me on Saturday, and I made sure it was worth her losing some sleep to see what happens at work. And Sunday was a pretty typical slow day. I did talk with some people, but overall it was a recovery day from the night before.

Drunk Drivers and Familiar Faces


My Baby came with me to ride and see
Who would be out in the little city
A Saturday filled with people galore
And a full moon to bring all the crazy to fore

As we drove and we talked a car we did see
Across the train tracks, no lights on had he
After speaking a moment he went on his way
I'm hunting for drunkards to arrest this day

Not too long after a second car flying
Red Ferrari was speeding, driver implied I was lying
But when no ticket was issued he changed his tune
'Cause it drunks I was hunting under the full moon

'Twas an hour long gap til the next car we bother
Not stopping at signage, said that she'd rather
Apologize now, which she did in a flash
Her car smelled delicious, French fries in the dash?

As we pulled away, an illegally parked truck
I scratch out the ticket for a quick city buck
And there at the wheel, my passed out drunk driver
An easy arrest, a definite high-fiver

His tests and my banter made Baby laugh
The driver smelled awful, like he'd taken a bath
in funky cologne and cheap warm beer
Hauled away, then his car on a tow truck disappeared

He couldn't perform the last simple test
One one ticket, out the door with the rest
of the people still milling all over the town
Blending back in, another drunk faceless clown

A couple more hours and I was going home
To my wife and my dogs right where I belong
Wonder what the next night would hold
On a Sunday? Not much the truth be told

Night two was a contrast in black and white
Starkly different that yesterdays busy night
Making my laps and looking at faces
Glazed over by booze in the usual places

My ear was bent as I sat quiet thinking
By a businessman who had NOT been drinking
Venting about the local town councilmen
And decisions they'd made that had impacted him

He went on his way and I then saw a face
One that had not been seen lately in this place
Quick stories exchanged and then on his way
And to keep driving to finish my day

No comments:

Post a Comment