Sunday, September 25, 2011

September 25, 2011 - 0450

It was an uneventful last nights of my four day rotation. Which was a nice contrast to the craziness of the first night. Once in a while is fine, but I'm glad it isn't every night like we had the other night. We had a couple of calls, but one stuck out in my head. The poor guy has an extensive history with law enforcement, but that wasn't the real issue.

Fall Has Fallen, And Call Volume Has Too


As I sat in my office on a cool dark night
I wondered to myself, what should I write?
I didn't stop cars, I made no arrests
The usual drunkards were not acting like pests

There was the new issue with my assigned car
The steering was failing, so I didn't drive far
Or even too fast, in case it went out
And it certainly will, of that there's no doubt

We finally got called to a loud argument
My partner and I by the radio sent
But when I arrived there was no domestic
But only a man on a phone talking hectic

I stayed by myself and asked what was wrong
And was greeted by yelling and spit flying long
But it wasn't at me and wasn't his fault
A tumor caused volume control loss

We spoke a great deal and his problems were deep
He'd been victimized by the company he'd keep
The systems were bad and he had no support
From doctors, police or even the court

Thirty minutes I let him vent his frustration
Hoping that somehow it would help his situation
And when seemed calmer I said my farewell
Hoping he'd find some respite from his hell

As I got in my car I thought of my life
My home and my dogs and my loving wife
It made me feel grateful for all that I've got
And a little bit sad for a man who did not

No comments:

Post a Comment