Monday, June 13, 2011

June 12-13, 2011 - 0515

Wow. That's all I can really say. Yesterday was busy from the jump off. Call after call and person stop after person stop and car stop after car stop. It all added up to my not being able to write anything down in verse form, only in notes on a Post-it. But now, here it all is, covering two days.

By request, this is a semi-epic poem written in as close to iambic pentameter as I could manage.

Epic Saturday Epic


Gather round children and hear my story
Of three men, then two, all bound for glory
Well, maybe not glory but loads of fun
With action for all o'er hither and yon

As I and he spoke all about crashes
Suspicious cars drove away like flashes
Southern folks partied well into the night
'Til coppers showed up and gave them a fright

But then comes a call, a man who is armed
Brandished a dagger, yet no one was harmed
Description goes out. We canvass the town
As we looked high and low, he was not found

We drive slow laps with our eyes wide open
To catch the rogue man was what we were hopin'
And standing by office were three young men
Not knowing the trouble they'd soon be in

With a snort and a sneer as I drove by
The wrong thing for them was to catch my eye
Stood up, patted down and riot act read
We tried to talk sense into their young heads

One was familiar, a call from last week
Into his turmoil we'd had a peek
We shooed them away; no time for these kids
Packs on their backs, on their heads crooked lids

I drove and I saw a car with no lights
Hoping for drunkard to make my young night
Wrong tags on car, and he stopped to the left
Just a kid. The car from his folks, a gift

After lecture I sent the young one home
To the safety of family well known
Back to my town to hunt still on-going
What was left for us? We were not knowing

I was north, it south. Faster than needed.
Right without stopping, 'til my lights pleaded
And up on the curb the tires did stop
I smelled weed and booze under hair like mop

Laughing and crying she did all my tests
At the end in my handcuffs she did rest
The sticky bud found in false snakeskin bag
With liquor a cause for her judgement lag

Refusal of test and she's out the door
The paperwork piling up more and more
And the calls keep coming without a stop
Running us ragged; we thought we'd drop

from the nights busy pace and no lunchtime
With open door called from neighboring town
Called off before showing up at the door
A very late meal. I wished there were more

The next night, so calm. It was very nice
Repeats on some rummy's did make me smile
No calls for knives or weapons this evening
Only two cars stopped, while they were leaving

If this is our summer it should be fun
We'll be safe and be strict with everyone
People will know that in our little town
That jail's where you go when acting the clown

No comments:

Post a Comment