Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8, 2011 - 0510

As I looked at the form for tonight's poem, I realized something - I haven't really followed the form factor of the Irish poetry very well. I kept to the syllable count and as close to the rhyme scheme as I could. But with the one I picked for today I really saw just how complex my ancestors were with their poetry. I'll be trying to stick more closely to these forms in the future.

That being said, it was another very warm, very quiet night. 80+ degrees again around midnight and nobody out to talk too, except each other. So I went for a walk and found a couple of open doors. Fun fun. I documented these with a Rannicheacht Bheag. When I saw the form laid out in x's and o's, so to speak, it really looked like a Haiku, hence the title.

A Kind of Irish Haiku


Overnight shift left me sweating
Humidity we fight
Quiet night. No car stops getting
Nothing here overnight

Warriors stood, telling their tales
Slow. I was curious
For something to do. Action hails
and calls to warriors

Businesses are checked by my shift
Walking we find doors ajar
Two at one time, their minds adrift
This makes for bad business

No comments:

Post a Comment