Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 30, 2011 - 0500

I'm back, and I'm in a Zen sort of place. My peer, the other lieutenant, is on vacation for the next three weeks. This means that I am now the #2 in charge of the entire department. Big responsibility? In a place this small, not really but it's still pretty cool in my mind to think about.


I used a variety of styles to describe my night. First is a limerick regarding the aforementioned vacation. Next is Séadna, an Irish style that I managed to follow pretty closely. Next is an example of irony in poetry. And Finally, a bit of free verse about my sudden elevation in status.


Vacation Limerick


When my peer is anxious to leave
I wonder what's up his sleeve
His vacation started
Our ways quickly parted
And no one around here will grieve


Drunken Banger Séadna


Entering the bar for trouble
Two frequent fliers made the call
It had to hurt them, these "hard" men
Though small, in the fen of booze we went


24/7-11 Irony


Original hours were seven to eleven
Now 24 hours is the norm
How can I purchase my icy heaven
When the doors are locked on your orange-green dorm?


Second In Charge Verse


The second man in the department is I
Not the first time and certainly not the last
I go about my business and barely try
And those who work with me are having a blast

No comments:

Post a Comment