Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3, 2011 - 0500

The end of my work week wrapped up with a long tirade from a peer regarding telephone books, gang graffiti, drunken boobery and almost left behind friends.

The poetry style ghazal is from Urdu/Arabic, and usually centers around lost or unrequited love. In my verses, it's about my work night, the people I work with and the people we deal with on a nightly basis. There isn't a set meter, but all of the couplets must have the same meter. The rhyme sequence is easy to follow, with the last word from the first couplet being repeated throughout.

Midnight Shift Ghazal


I wanted to go. But escape was not on my table.
Trapped by an angry peer, as I leaned against a table.

Two hours plus had passed. I wanted just to hit the street
Yet there he stayed on, resting his feet upon a table

When he left I checked the park and found graffiti out there
Local gangs had made their mark upon a child play table

Initials, star and pitchfork drawn in paint as black as dusk
Added to others drawn in the park on wall and table

I cleared and drove in rain that fell for only half an hour
The drops fell and left their touch on window and on table

The rain stopped and the bars let out putting drunks on the street
We stopped one bending trees. My car's hood served as a table

We sent drunk and his friends away. They promised to be good
Drunk girl at depot sat. Using her legs like a table

Her friend arrived to take her home. Rescued from the cold night
Lunch and coffee for us. But not on a fancy table.

No comments:

Post a Comment