Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 13, 2011 - 0500

Day two of the sonnet week, and I have a Petrarchan sonnet for your entertainment. This was not too difficult, but not exactly a walk in the poetry park either. I wanted to stay close to the structure, and needed to only use five rhymes, which I was able to do. But not without a lot of thought as to what I could do in those 14 lines.

It's still on my desk to come up with arguments against a new local ordinance. I know what I want to say, but at 0230 or 0300 when I'm actually at my desk it's not so easy to articulate those thoughts into written words. I have a couple of weeks before it's to be presented, but I want to have something done for review before my next days off. Shouldn't be too difficult, I just have to concentrate earlier in the shift.

My Worries On Writing


I write my words and I make them rhyming
This is my down time fun that is easy
It's hidden from the ones who see me
When I write them I can hear bells chiming

But now a project sits upon my desk
To help shoot down an ordinance in my town
My words are failing me. It makes me frown.
That I can't send these babies from the nest

But, I will carry on and keep my pen
to paper, and I'll give it my best
New words hatch as I send them from the nest

And when it's over, I'll sit and wonder when
the next time I'll put my words to the test
Then, like now, I hope I can give my best

No comments:

Post a Comment