Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 3, 2011 - 0500

It's the end of my work week. Warm, humid, and a town filled with crazy drunkards. Or as I call them, job security.

As I was driving around near the time that the bars close, I began to reflect on what I had seen, smelled, heard, etc., throughout the night. And this list poem is a short recalling of the things that assaulted my senses in the first half of my shift tonight. The link isn't exactly what I was looking for, but the opening paragraph gives a good definition of list poetry.

What My Senses Sensed


What I Saw Tonight:
 - drunks on bicycles
 - puddles of puke
 - arguing idiots
 - putting up their dukes

What I Heard Tonight:
 - yelling and screaming
 - fireworks popping
 - beer bottles breaking
 - flower pots dropping

What I Smelled Tonight:
 - lots of perfume
 - burnt gunpowder
 - sweat and anger
 - and, I think, clam chowder

What I Tasted Tonight:
 - ice cold water
 - humid night air
 - and occasional hints
 - of little dog hair

What I Felt Tonight:
 - sweat under armor
 - cool breeze in my "hair"
 - happy for my Friday
 - and that my Baby will be here

No comments:

Post a Comment