Saturday, August 13, 2011

August 13, 2011 - 0515

This one is late for a couple of reasons. First, is that it covers two days. An eventful two days. And second is because it's fairly lengthy. I had to start a new Moleskine just to finish writing it out. Not that I filled 192 pages with this one, but I was almost at the end of my old one and this ran five pages.

The style is a Burns Stanza or Standard Habbie. Easy rhyme sequence and simple syllabic structure. And, with as much as I had to cover I needed something easy to follow.

Two Days Busy


We had a shift of three once more
Bars open late. What's in store?
We wonder walking out the door
It's slow until about half way
A drunk man peeing on a door
Caught dead to rights. Not much to say

Handcuffed and taken in a charged
In booking to the toilet barged
His bladder from the beer enlarged
In wallet found a gram of coke
The state was called about his charge
A felony is not a joke

His friend had fake ID in hand
Plans for leaving us were canned
"Stay with us" we did demand
A call to states attorney made
Transport them to Waukegan-land
To a gray jail cell I'm afraid

Two arrestees head to court
Me leave on time? I did abort
that idea. Day shift was short
Both were kept after judges call
I left for home and sleeping port
Almost 12 hours overall

Friday there were but two on shift
A full moon lets the crazies drift
And gives my tired bones a lift
That, and a large iced coffee drink
Lots of people through which to sift
Our first call put us on the brink

A business man. A fake ID.
The kid confronted tried to flee
With owner following angrily
He caught up, but by car was pulled
The car kept going down the street
And owner on the pavement rolled

They chased them down on motor-bikes
All streaking through the inky night
The young man trying to take flight
But wisely he did finally stop
We show up and arrest on sight
The joys of being a local cop

A bong and beer in car were found
Offender did not make a sound
When told the car would be impound
Three students all were in the car
Good schools, but no sense abound
They might be free had they gone to a bar

Kid one from Stanford college nigh
And two, from Berkeley, almost cried
Three was a Wisconsonite
He caught the charge that was most harsh
First two released to parents sighs
The third one given tickets charged

I tried my best to make the pinch
You'd think when busy it'd be a cinch
And drunks arrested in a clinch
But four stops got me nothing fast
I gave not even a inch
But luck tonight had long since passed

With five arrests in just three days
Those working a deserve some praise
Something more than a turn of phrase
They all were working as  a team
When young ones came and made their plays
All comes together like a dream

No comments:

Post a Comment