Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 31, 2011 - 0500

When I knew I was coming back to my regular shift, I was excited. I like working midnights, and being up during the daytime killed my energy last week. I had no idea that the sun light and fresh air of the day time would do that to me, but it sure did. And now that I'm back...I'm remembering that night shift is a mostly long and boring process, occasionally punctuated by moments of excitement and terror.

But not tonight. It was a typical non-eventful night. Rain kept people away and most bars closed early. But I found a new form to entertain you with. And by new, I mean that this form was invented at the end of the 20th century. The Pleiades is the name of a group of stars, and the form. It can be done with no syllable count, six or seven syllables per line. The main part of the form is that there are only seven lines, and they all start with the same letter as the title, which is always one word. I did two to try out the freer form and the seven syllable variant.

Peaceful (No Syllable Count)

Pitter patter of rain drops on my car
Pleasing a sound as I needed
Pushing my tiredness away
Perfectly contrasting an empty town
Possibly I could find something to do
Preferably an arrest or car stop
Picking these is difficult on a slow night

Writing (7-Syllable)


When I had a spare moment
Words fell from my fingertips
Waiting was always my strength
What I needed were questions
Who I sent them to made sense
When I get them back, who knows
Wanting and wishing try me

No comments:

Post a Comment