Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 14, 2011 - 0510

It seems like I just posted something today, but it was actually yesterday late. And I wish there were more to opine on, but a drastic change in weather combined with a lot of recent college graduates packing up and leaving meant that tonight wasn't anything to jump about as far as calls for service were concerned.

The evening is documented with a sestina. A pretty interesting structure, with no rhymes or meter. But the words at the end of the sentences repeat in various ways throughout the entire poem. It made it easy to come up with the last word of each sentence, but putting the rest of the words in front of it was the challenge.

The Night Seemed To Go On and On


Despite the date and it's evil ways
I didn't hold high hopes for action
The weather had turned from warm to cold
Leading my mind to a state f dullness and slow
It carried on this way as I drove into my town
My hope was that there would be things to do

We changed from civilian to cops, like our hair-do
I check my equipment constantly, set in my ways
After checking that all was quiet in town
Partner and I set out to seek our action
But my suspicions were right, the town was slow
With most people being kept in by the cold

Not winter time, no snow, not that kind of cold
The kind that keeps you inside with nothing to do
A shiver in the air, that makes your watch slow
Wondering how the nights pass in these long ways
But still, I prowled around hoping for action
Never to come, never to arrive, in our town

Lack of people made time stand still in town
I couldn't go out jacketless into the cold
Whenever I heard a sound, I thought it was action
Craning around to see what there was to do
As a more veteran copper I'm kind of set in my ways
It amazed me that the town was so slow

I got out of my car, took a walk nice and slow
Staying active can be tough in such a small town
Being creative  and looking around for new ways
to find something to do when it's cold
Pulling on doors is just what I do
When I find one open, then we spring into action

After that's done we hunt for more action
Despite my cars speed, I still drive slow
Passing my squad car isn't something you do
Even though we work in such a small town
I think sometimes I'm too nice when it's cold
No tickets, just scolded and sent other ways

The stories aren't too exciting when there's nothing to do
We all took this job because we crave action

And sometimes it's easy to get set in your ways
When working and policing a town slow

But crime still happens in our tiny town
And won't necessarily stop because it's cold

No comments:

Post a Comment