Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16, 2011 - 0500

What a night. And by that I mean not a dang thing went on. No calls, no traffic, no people to annoy or assist. I wasn't even harangued by anger and bitterness at the beginning of my shift. And this was reason enough to celebrate.

Everyone knows the phrase "carpe diem" from the movie Dead Poets Society. To seize the day is a pretty cool sentiment. And a poem in this style is a celebration of the moment, no matter how large or small. Tonight was filled with little celebrations.

No Guarantees, So Smile


Though I did not do much in the way of policing
I felt successful tonight
Tomorrows sunrise is not guaranteed
Each days successes are to be enjoyed

Before I arrived I said I love you my wife
It's a tradition with us each night
The end of your day isn't written in stone
Be sure the ones you love, know that you do

Thinking that I would be trapped by cynacism
I was surprisingly released after only an hour
Routines aren't always routine in my job
I'll take each change with a smile

I took only a few laps before manning my desk
Looking forward to papers and disks to burn
Rare is the night where I have true admin work
I relished the feeling of being a supervisor

My desk is now clean and no more papers are out
I can't wait for my love to call as she drives
Early morning conversations make my Friday a joy
My family and my job make me the happiest

Remember that nothing is sure in your life
Hold close the things that you love
Bad times will pass and give way to laughter
Each day should be celebrated, whether busy or calm

No comments:

Post a Comment