Saturday, May 7, 2011

May 7, 2011 - 0510

Tonight was a nice, cool but not cold, busy but not packed in town, work night. It started immediately with an alleged battery with a baseball bat and then flowed smoothly into a pretty nice DUI arrest. In between I was inundated with attitude, anger, and lots of other emotions.

The poem of the evening is a Rhyme Royal. Iambic pentameter, as much as I could stick to it, with a pretty easy rhyme sequence. If you use words that rhyme. I decided to challenge myself to use words from a list my wife sent to me of words without exact rhymes. That was the challenge tonight, and I like to think that I stepped up nicely.

Steady Work, If You Can Keep Up With It


When I came in to work I felt no angst
It appeared to be simple, no depth
We were about to speak and then I sprang
From chair, to door, to car, averting death
Or so it sounded as we crossed the breadth
Of town and back, but nothing could oblige
The space we'd leapt, our fuel was like a tithe

Please don't call me when we're on the cusp
Now is not the time. We cannot oblige
When clear I'll call and then we can discuss
That which burns you, and makes you feel alive
Or the thoughts that in your brain seem to writhe
Inside your mind we all have seen or glimpsed
We don't like to see, but you give us hints

And then, drunk girl, makeup smeared like plankton
Nearly hitting cars should light ones brain bulb
Three times over makes us all feel quite stunned
Your car was towed, a German metal hull
Your friend left you with us and your trouble
You pulled yourself from the heat of the kiln
But remember when you lie, it's on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment