Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 22, 2011 - 0510

I'm not sure what to call tonight's verses. It's kind of a song, kind of an ode, kind of a lyric poem. Hmm... You're all grown folks, you can decide for yourselves.

There were lots and lots of pickled pedestrians out tonight, and I quickly found out why. Fortunately, they were all good people just out for a good time.

It Wasn't So Bad, This Night


Driving in was fine, no worries about my night
My town was fairly busy, with lots of cars in sight
I noticed groups of people on the sidewalks to and fro
Wondering to myself I ask "Where can these drunkards go?"

After changing from my day to eve I wandered up the stairs
The afternoon shift sat un-tensed, the work no longer theirs
I asked about the people out, and why there were so many
The answer that I got shown bright, just like a brand new penny

Pub Crawl

There were pods of eight to ten, with one the sober driver
He was spotted in the group, a sad and bitter sight there
Or if they all were drinking deep, a car they did not use
The taxi men made all their money from the denizens of booze

Pub Crawl

Alas all things come to an end, and this was no exception
Two hours past the witching bells was like a post-convention
Streets and walkways that once held many now were cold and bare
Power walkers and power drinkers had left the city fair

Pub Crawl

I drove the town all up and down until I could no more
Stopping in at a pub that's safe I talked to people at the door
At one time they'd had a century's worth of happy drunken faces
Now the bar stools all sat empty, here and at other places

Pub Crawl

To my right I heard the voices, shrill and slurred with drink
"I'll drive my car!" and "No you won't!" was the reason for the stink
Partner and I made presence felt and they walked home in disgust
Better that than take the ride for a stupidity bust

Pub Crawl

To reason with long forgotten gangsters was easier than thought
Asked to leave, they hit the road. A battle quickly fought
Inside the bar past closing time was another kind of pickle
Spotlights and some angry words, not at all meant to tickle

Pub Crawl

Despite the ending the week was good and had ended well
No injuries or death or or angry people were brought in on a swell
My break is here, but I'll be back with more stories and more rhyming
There's always something to put on paper, even if wrecked by the timing

No comments:

Post a Comment