Friday, April 11, 2014

National Poetry Writing Month - April 11, 2014

I spent the better part of yesterday and about an hour this morning finishing an online course called ARIDE - Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement. It's a sort of in between training course from the basic Standardized Field Sobriety Tests to the much more advanced Drug Recognition Expert. The DRE certification is one that I would greatly like to obtain. I've always enjoyed taking drunk drivers off of the streets. With my current department I've amassed almost 70 DUI arrests, and that was in about 4 years. It may not seem like many, but it's good enough for second overall in enforcement in the department.

While taking the course I was thinking to myself, I wonder what could have happened to all of the impaired drivers if I hadn't intervened.

If I Weren't There

If I weren't there to stop you
Would you have made it home?
Safely to your family
Or to your home alone?

Could you have gone without a crash
And taking an innocent life?
Using your car and your impaired mind
As weapon; a gun or knife

Is it possible you'd have killed yourself
In some fiery mass of steel
Leaving me and my fellow officers
To tell your family, and see how they feel

About you making such a rash mistake
To drive after drinking so much
No longer would they hear your voice
See your face, feel your touch

You curse me as I handcuff you
And take you off to jail
As I read the forms and write the tickets
And make you post your bail

But think of this when we arrive in court
And remember well my face
That because I arrested you that night
You're alive to be in this place

No comments:

Post a Comment