Monday, April 28, 2014

National Poetry Writing Month - April 28, 2014

Ah the joys of home ownership. There's nothing like having your own castle to come home to, where family and friends can gather and recount the events that bind you all together.

And then there's the upkeep. The maintenance and repair. The improvements. We've recently had the floors replaced in our house, with the old grimy carpet being removed and for the most part new shiny laminate flooring being put in it's place. The stairs and second floor hallway remain carpeted, but with new replacing the old. It's been an uphill struggle to get it done in a timely manner and correctly. Today was another example of how contractors never seem to know what each is doing.

Right Hand, Left Hand
Have you two met? You're in the same field
Home improvements and repairs are your game
It seems however that you don't know the deal
When it comes to your work being the same

It's the same house you've been in twice before
And I've called you back two times as well
My has greeted you each at the door
So why does this work always give me such hell?

Tear out the old, put in the new
That's the gist of this job
But you'd think that each time the arrival was new
And they'd never set foot in my yard

So it's phone calls and calls to the place where we pay
To get you back out to my place
There are smiles and I'm sorry's every new day
When you don't even remember my face

This day we both hope is the last that you'll be
In my halls and my driveway outside
You both are polite and as nice as can be
So I'll sign and say my good-byes

It's always good looking, the work when it's done
But the constant returning is never much fun

No comments:

Post a Comment