Tuesday, April 22, 2014

National Poetry Writing Month - April 22, 2014

As I was driving home from taking the dog to the vet this morning, I adjusted the radio so that I could hear the morning hockey talk. It took me back a little to see that the volume was at 12. It made me think, is my hearing that bad? I suppose it is, after years of loud concerts, shooting guns without adequate hearing protection, working near active military flight lines without ANY hearing protection, etc, etc. It's been a slow process but a steady one towards my hearing loss, and it is the inspiration for today's verses.

What Was That Again?

When I was born, I could barely hear
And what I did was scary; unfamiliar
It made me angry and sad
To not know what was being said

As I got older, my hearing was perfect
I could hear everything around me
Even if I didn't understand it all
I could hear all that was being said

When I entered the military, it was still okay
But the damage truly started then
Guns and planes and music too loud
But I could still understand what was said

Later in life, the ringing in my ears is louder
Than the radio in my car and it's a little scary
But not unfamiliar. It's been there for a long time now
And I'm now starting to misunderstand what's being said

The older and older I get, the less and less I can hear
Music is muted, voices are quieter. Drowned out by tinnitus
And constant abuse of my hearing
And it makes me a little angry and sad

No comments:

Post a Comment