Tuesday, April 15, 2014

National Poetry Writing Month - April 15, 2014

If you haven't discerned by now, I am a police officer. The badge as my avatar, my name on the posts, the fact that I write a lot about work and arresting people. It isn't a huge state secret. I do keep the details as vague as possible to help keep myself and my family safe when I am off of work.

I also am one of those cops who likes guns. Pistols, rifles, shotguns. I enjoy shooting them, I enjoy teaching others how to shoot them and I even enjoy cleaning them. Today I will write some about guns and my enjoyment and use of them.

All Ready On The Firing Line

(1)
It's called evil
Dangerous and deadly
Unnecessary for most
And an adult mans Lego set

Black and shiny
Camo and dull
Cold to hot steel
And plastic pieces and parts

I can teach you to
Use it properly. The names
Of the parts and how
To aim and squeeze

It's a tool of my trade
No more and no less
Dangerous? No. A tool
The user can be dangerous

(2)
13+1 of brass and lead
Polymer and metal strapped
To my hip as I walk
The streets and alleys

I've never used it
On another human
And I hope to
Never have to

34 parts in total
I can teach you how
To use those parts
To save or take a life

(3)
A most blunt piece
Of iron and wood
Plastic and lead shot
Shooting from it's barrel

It's iconic sound brings
All nonsense to a halt
Everyone knows it's voice
No one wants to challenge it

It's proven itself
To my forebears
On domestic and foreign fronts
It's a proven winner

(4)
These are merely tools
Used by good and evil
For good and evil
To each their causes

The one behind
The rifle
The pistol
The shotgun

I train with these tools
And train others with them
To advance good
And end evil

No comments:

Post a Comment