Sunday, April 27, 2014

National Poetry Writing Month - April 27, 2014

I heard a reading of Carl Sandburg's "Chicago" and it was amazing on a couple of levels. First, it's a brilliant piece of literary art. You can hear what I heard on Soundcloud. Second, it's about what I consider the most impressive and amazing city in the entire country. And it made me think about my own little hometown in Kansas where I grew up. So this is about the city where I was born and raised and lived for the first 18 years of my life.

In Praise of T-Town
Grass and trees bend to the breeze
Blowing across the prairie and into the cities
No mountains to stop it from whipping the hair
From your face and the hat from your head

My home was not on the range
A modest little one story story on the southwest side
Of a city that by comparison to others
Can barely be called a city

It was my whole world for my beginning life
I knew every nook and cranny of the park
Could ride a bike from one neighborhood to another
And never be on a main street

Friends lived within walking distance of me
Our families knew each other and there was trust
That if you were bad at their house
You'd be in trouble at yours

Growing up we were shielded from the horrors
Of big city life. No real crime or poverty
On our side of the city
That was a northerly problem, and more so outside of us

The more I looked around
The city where I was at, the more I realized
That there was more to be seen outside
Of it's small town limits

1991 - war divided my high school along it's lines
Hawks and doves swooped through the campus
You were either for the soldiers and their mission
Or you were against. There was no middle

I knew then that I had to get out
I knew then that I was going to leave this smallish place
And never return to live again
Not ever

By the time I was 18, I had already enlisted
My fate was set with Uncle Sam and his ilk
13 weeks there, and the remainder of 4 year
Solidified my decision as the right one

I have been back only a few times since leaving
There is a slight sense of nostalgia
But no burning desire to return and stay
My place is now outside of that place. Forever

No comments:

Post a Comment