Tuesday, April 8, 2014

National Poetry Writing Month - April 8, 2014

Currently, I am watching a classic piece of cinema: Big Trouble in Little China. Okay, so maybe it's not the best movie in the world, but I love it. For it's cheesy dialog. For it's over the top acting. For the horrible but fun special effects. For Jack Burton.

It also made me think of Chinese poetry. What the forms were, how they were set up, the rhyme scheme. So I did a quick search on the Google and found the following form and style, Gu Ti. A sort of couplet based free verse. I hope that I do it justice.

Of Bad Movies On A Good Day

Though the dog had a date with the doc, it was nice
As we left the early morning fog lifted, at no price

She had her ears cleaned out by the vet, lots of dirt
And a weeks worth of medicine, cures the hurt

Time for lunch for me before work, eggs and toast
And a very good bad movie, liked the most

Demons and monsters all around, make me smile
As I dine on my food all the while

Soon off to work for the day
What will happen to us tonight, who's to say

But we'll meet each challenge face to face
No matter the time or the place

No comments:

Post a Comment